The other bike. 2008 Kona HeiHei 2-9. Cracks in the paint on the welds around the BB shell on both sides. The jury is still out. This might bear watching.
Drive side
Non-drive side
And a roached XT BB, after only a year of use. The seals failed on the non-drive side, causing premature death to the bearings.
Awesome to hear the replacement is on its way. After seeing bike number 2 was doomed earlier today, I couldn't even bust your balls with a joke...and I'm generally relentless. Seeing that someone's stable of mountain bikes is out of order is something I wouldn't wish on anyone. Good luck with a quick replacement and enjoy the build process. Moving forward, I do like Camp's approach to keeping your bikes functional.
It's not on its way yet. I need to get the bike torn down and get it to the shop (which is very far out of my way) and then they will contact Kona and see what will be done. I am simply hoping, at this point, that it results in a warranty replacement.
10 comments:
"cracks in the paint". You're like the eternal optimist.
1 year for an XT BB is about average. Go with an Enduro next time and get 3x the life.
hey, hope springs eternal.
how the hell do i break a full-sus Kona in only a year of riding?
i think i might go back to cartridge and square taper or ISIS for 5x the life.
Wow, only a year old. Most bikes are not manufactured for the trails we like to ride. I'm convinced of that now.
Response from Kona:
"I can see the crack pretty clearly. It’s time for a new frame. Hand it over to your bike shop and they’ll give our HQ in Ferndale a ring."
This one has a lifetime frame warranty, at least.
Last time I cleaned my bike I found 2 cracks on the fork. Haven't cleaned it since.
Glad to hear you're getting a new frame. Lifetime huh? That's a great warranty.
You gotta love Larry Logic. Never clean your bike and you'll never see the cracks, therefore, it'll never break. :)
Brett... I think you need one of these:
http://www.lenzsport.com/behemoth.html
Awesome to hear the replacement is on its way. After seeing bike number 2 was doomed earlier today, I couldn't even bust your balls with a joke...and I'm generally relentless. Seeing that someone's stable of mountain bikes is out of order is something I wouldn't wish on anyone. Good luck with a quick replacement and enjoy the build process. Moving forward, I do like Camp's approach to keeping your bikes functional.
It's not on its way yet. I need to get the bike torn down and get it to the shop (which is very far out of my way) and then they will contact Kona and see what will be done. I am simply hoping, at this point, that it results in a warranty replacement.
How's the replacement coming along?
Post a Comment